Many parents get in the habit of only scheduling their child’s annual physical before the school year or at the start of sports season. This can be the busiest time of year, and it’s possible that you may not be able to schedule an appointment in time.
Did you know that your child can get their physical done now and still have their results be accepted for the school year or sports season? Avoid the rush and schedule an appointment today!
Why are Physicals Important?
Even if your child doesn’t require a school or sports physical, an examination is an important part of monitoring their mental and physical development. It’s recommended that children and adolescents receive a physical every year.
During the childhood years to their teenage years, our pediatricians ensure that everything is normal regarding their:
- Vaccines. The doctor will ensure that your child is up to date on all required vaccines. This is an important part of protecting them from harmful diseases.
- Physical development. Your child’s height, weight, blood pressure, and other important information will be recorded. If anything stands out or seems abnormal, dietary or treatment options can be discussed. More specifically, the physical exam will consist of:
- Auditory examination of the heart to check for irregular rhythm
- Visual examination of the back to check for spine curvature
- Check of the abdomen for hernias
- Lymph node exam to check for swelling
- Mental development. The physician will ask about their socialization, self-esteem, ability to read and write, and if they have any difficulty concentrating. Any areas of concern can be addressed and followed up on during future visits.
There’s No Better Time Than Now! Schedule Your Child’s Physical
Don’t delay in scheduling your child’s appointment. Call Delaware Pediatrics at (716) 884-0230 to get in touch with us!
Tags: mental health, physicals, vaccines, yearly checkups
Categorised in: Sports Physicals
This post was written by Delaware Pediatrics